A few of my IRL friends have been making comments about how I finish my sewing projects so fast. Melody suggested that I make a blog post about it.
I have to be honest, I have no idea how I finish projects so fast. But i'll list a few things here that I think probably help me move things along a bit faster.
First things first, I would like to point out that my organizational skills suck, so they have nothing to do with me getting things done. I'll give you an example, I have at least a dozen seam rippers. Do you think I can find one when I need one? Nope! Half the time i'm ripping out stitches using the point of a small pair of scissors. So, it has nothing to do with being organized.
Here are a few things I do to keep myself on track to finish that project.
- I don't hang on to UFO's and wadders. If it's a UFO that needs something to get it done like a hem or zipper, I just do it. Get it finished and out of your way so you don't have to think about it anymore. If it's a wadder, get rid of it. Why are you hanging on to that thing? You know damn well you're not going to fix it. Why let it clutter your space? I will tell you, every year, DH goes on a trip with a buddy and he wants me to make him and his friend embroidered tee shirts. Well, I have had nothing but problems with the stupid embroidery machine, and I DREAD making these shirts. So, what do I do? I put them off until the day before DH leaves for his trip. For two months I think of doing nothing else, but do nothing. SO I get no enjoyment from sewing because these shirts weight on me. As soon as they're done, I get my mojo back. It's because I let them fester, and they just zap all my sewing energy. Get rid of the extra crap, and get back to your project!
- I don't let things like zippers and hems intimidate me. Just install the zipper and move on. No one will notice that it isn't perfect.
- Someone on PR has a saying in their tagline that says 'Done is better than perfect'. I believe that. I don't rip out seams because they are 1/8 of an inch off. I don't care. No one will notice! Trust me.
- One of the few pieces of sewing advice I do follow is to keep all my pattern pieces and directions handy. I make sure to have all the notions I need. I make sure I have CLEAR markings on my fabric (that includes right and wrong side) right from the start. It makes things so much easier if you have to make a pleat if you actually know where to place the pleat!
- Just finish it! This goes back to the wadders and UFO thing. Don't go on to something else before you finish what you are currently working one. Just finish it, you'll feel better for it.
- The last thing I do is I make myself get started! I can sit on the internet for days and get nothing done. I have to make myself get up from the computer and actually do something. You can do it too! I have faith in you! lol