Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Beef Barley Soup

Yes, well, when I created this blog, I had no intentions of posting recipes. However, last night I accidentally made a soup that turned out so good that I figure I just have to share it.

Beef Barley Soup

1 pound round, skirt or flank steak cut into half inch cubes.
2 Tbl of flour
1/2 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp minced garlic
1 med onion diced
meat tenderizer

Soup ingredients
32 ounces (4 cups) beef broth
1 can diced tomatoes drained
1 1/2 cup water
1 cup diced carrots
1 beef bullion cube
*1 tbl oregano
*1 tbl basil
*1 tsp garlic salt
*1/2 tsp pepper
1 cup quick cook barley
1 cup frozen peas

[*NOTE: spices are approx. estimates. I don't cook with actual measurements, but this is about how much I use. Taste the broth after it simmers for about 30 minutes to see if you need to add more]

Spray dutch oven with cooking spray or spread enough vegetable oil to cover bottom of pan.
Add beef, cover with meat tenderizer.
Cover with flour, pepper and minced garlic and onion. Mix well. Cook until beef is cooked through.

When beef is thoroughly cooked add all the soup ingredients EXCEPT quick-cook barley and peas. Bring to boil. Reduce heat, cover and let simmer for 30 minutes stirring occasionally.

Add barley and peas. Cover and let simmer for 25 minutes.

Serve with a hearty bread. Yumm!

No comments: