Saturday, July 2, 2011
While I will admit, this suit isn't the greatest, as it's only my second attempt (I have bottoms I made from a KS pattern that I wear all the time. Although my fabric choice was a bit questionable and they aren't holding up well). I can tell you that I don't think I will ever buy another bathing suit ever again. Swimsuits are so easy to make. Don't fear making one. Give it a try!
Anyway, about that bottom edge on the tankini -- I was having a hard time just making a hem. The fabric is thin and it just wanted to curl up so I had to use another method.
Normally with knits I use Steam-A-Seam Lite to stabilize my knit seams. I love this stuff. If you struggle with knit seams, give this stuff a try!. However, with the bathing suit, I didn't want to compromise any of the stretch, so the SAS was out.
My second option was to use strips of wash away stabilizer. This probably would have been a great idea except I couldn't figure out for the life of me how to get the little strips to stay still so I could stitch the seam. Apparently what you are supposed to do is use steam from the iron to 'melt' the stabilizer to the fabric. I will keep that in mind for next time.
I ended up calling my friend Melody for advise. She suggested clear elastic. So, what I ended up doing on this suit was stitching on clear elastic to the hem, then turning and top stitching with a wide zig-zag stitch. I'm not so sure this was the best option either. I think I stretched the elastic a little to much and the bottom kind of rides up a bit and feels weird.
I think next with suit, I'm going to try a bit harder to get the wash away stabilizer to work. Although, part of me says the elastic is a good idea too -- if I had not stretched it so much. There will be other suits to try out other techniques, I'm sure.
If you haven't made your own suit yet, I highly recommend it!